Subject: Re: .lang files
From: Paul Suade (paul.suade_at_laposte.net)
Date: 2002-09-18

----- Original Message -----
From: "Daniel Stenberg" <daniel_at_haxx.se>
To: "Rockbox" <rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 4:17 PM

> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Paul Suade wrote:
>
> > say, you write in your source : _lang_("Hello World\n"), which is quite
> > more readable than a macro.
> >
> > Before really compiling the source, you preprocess it with a special
tool
> > will transform it in a ID in a temporary source like :
> > _msgstr_(MSGID__HELLO___WORLD_092_N).
>
> That way, when you run a debugger and similar, you don't see the same C
> source code that you saw when you edited the code. I've been involved in
> systems using hacks like that before, it was not pleasent to deal with.

The code will contain a call with an ID as parameter. If you need the
message content, just have a tool which tells you which string it is from
the ID based on an .lang file.

Or more simply add it in the temporary source : << _msgstr_(MSGID_... ,
"Hello World\n") >> or << /* _lang_("Hello World\n") */ _msgstr_(MSGID_...)
>> as a substitution ? That way, you will be able to see which english
message is associated even when debugging source. I don't really see where
the problem is.