Subject: Re: slow/delaying usb connection to archos/rockbox
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-09-21

Paul Suade wrote:
> The multisector feature you're speaking
> about is not concerned because it always switched on in ide-disk.c if this
> feature is present on the harddisk (which is now 100% of harddisks).

I'm not talking about the READ MULTIPLE SECTORS ata command. I'm talking about the fat file system driver, which requests one sector, examines it, requests another etc. The ATA multisector transfer feature is not relevant to this.

Also USB disks don't involve ide-disk.c at all, they are all handled as SCSI disks.

> FAT drivers doesn't know about multisector feature or DMA feature

No, but they do know how to read and write more than one sector at a time. Otherwise normal file copying would be horribly slow too.

> Another important point : the ISD200 or ISD300 might not handle multisector
> transfers.

Of course they do. Read the driver code or the data sheets.

Please do at least a little bit of research before throwing out wild speculations and accusing others of being wrong.

--
Björn