Subject: Re[3]: corrected german lang-file
From: Remo Hofer (remo.nospam_at_gmx.net)
Date: 2002-09-21

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 22:19:16 +0200 mail_at_uwe-freese.de (Uwe Freese) wrote:

>Hello Remo,
>
>Remo Hofer wrote on Friday, September 20, 2002, 6:01:56 PM:
>
>RH> Here is my proposal for correction for discussion.
>RH> Note I haven't applied them to a file yet, because I don't have
>RH> a sollution for every comment that I made.
>
>I've made a version that fixes the obviously faults.
>
>Daniel, please commit to cvs. Thanks. (I changed it to "MB" in the
>eng: string also, is this ok?)
>
>Remo, please look over it again and/or read the rest of this mail.
>
>General problem with some words is that we don't have a usually used word in
>german for it. One can translate them all, but the user doesn't know
>what it means then.

>I prefer "Scroll" even if it's english!

I have no problem with "Scroll", just wanted to ask, if somone
has a better translation.

>>> id: LANG_SPINDOWN
>>> desc: in settings_menu
>>> eng: "Disk Spindown"
>>> new: "HDD Ausschaltzeit"
>
>RH> What's the meaning of HDD? shouldn't it be HD (= (H)ard(d)isk)?
>
>Hard Disk Drive.
>
>RH> Or is it (H)ar(d)(d)isk, which I would find strange?
>RH> I'd prefer "Disk-Ausschaltzeit" anyway, or maybe "Plattenauschaltzeit".
>
>I find HDD better than disk, because a floppy is also a disk.
>"Plattenausschaltzeit", hmm, I don't know if I find it better. Not
>really. So let's discuss here. :)

You're right the ablosut correct term would be "Festplattenauschaltzeit".
But I don't like it at all. And even the english version only talks
about disk and not harddisk.

If HDD is wide spread as an abreviation, it's ok. But I would not
know, if you'd ask me what's the meaning of "HDD Ausschaltzeit".

>Maybe I would also prefer "Verzeichnis", but both words are ok. And
>"Ordner" is shorter, so we should leave it, shouldn't we?
>
>To non-german-speakers: The older ones call directories "Verzeichnis".
>But Bill Gates says it's "Ordner". So the newer Win-terminology is
>"Ordner" and many people use it. ;)

If even Bill Gates uses "Ordner" now, then it's ok with me.
I thought, it's only used on Macs.

--
Remo Hofer <remo.nospam_at_gmx.net>
Do NOT remove nospam from email address!