Subject: [Patch] deutsch.lang update & some suspicious lang-file things
From: Uwe Freese (
Date: 2002-09-22

I tested the german language on the AJB and saw some
misunderstanding translations. Also sometimes there's space enough to
write the whole word. The changes are in the attached diff. Please
commit in cvs.

- - - - -

After going through the lang file I saw some "ID-trouble" we have now.
I think the additional work to make the IDs expressive and keep them
up to date is the price we have to pay for having language files. :-(

So here are my comments:

1.) In all lang files there are these two funny lines:

    desc: in settings_menu,

    *without* an "eng:" and "new:" line! Was this planned? I wonder
    that the lang scripts work here.

2.) In english there are

    desc: in settings_menu
    eng: "Music Filter"

    desc: in wps F2 pressed
    eng: "Dir filter: %s"

    But both mean the same. They should be:

    desc: in settings_menu
    eng: "Music Filter"

    desc: in wps F2 pressed
    eng: "Music filter: %s"

    (I changed both to "Musik-Filter" in the deutsch.lang).

3.) I made the following:

    desc: in settings_menu
    eng: "Shuffle"
    new: "Zufalls-"

    So it's

    in F2-Screen. But "Zufalls-" is not the general translation for
    Shuffle if this is going into the General Settings menu again!
    So this ID should be LANG_F2_SHUFFLE.

4.) While compiling, there are some errors like this one:
    Updating dependencies for /home/uwe/rockbox-0811/recorder/snake.c
    recorder/snake.c:23:19: lang.h: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

    But the ajbrec.ajz was created successfully. Does it mean that
    "Snake" only wasn't updated for the new language system yet?

    BTW: Why was is compiled? I set "Games" to "no" (in 'configure')!

5.) In F2-menu, (Shuffle-) "Mode:" is with a ":" and all other strings
    (in F2/F3 screens) without one.

Bye, Uwe.