Subject: Re: Translations and players
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-09-22

Magnus Holmgren wrote:
> I've just hacked Rockbox so that it includes "å", "ä" and "ö". Is this
> something that is of general interest? I.e., should I submit a patch for
> it, and make it easy to adapt to other languages?

It's a good start, but unfortunately it's not quite enough.

We already use several custom chars for icons (folder, mp3, m3u etc) and some chars need 8 if not more chars for their national "special" chars.

What we really need is a clever system to handle the whole screen, dynamically allocating custom chars for the special chars displayed. (And gracefully fall back to the closest similar ascii char if no custom chars are free.)

--
Björn