Subject: Re: Translations and players
From: Magnus Holmgren (
Date: 2002-09-22

Björn Stenberg wrote:

> > I've just hacked Rockbox so that it includes "å", "ä" and "ö". Is this
> > something that is of general interest? I.e., should I submit a patch for
> > it, and make it easy to adapt to other languages?
> It's a good start, but unfortunately it's not quite enough.

I know. But it's enough for Swedish, which makes me happy (for now). :)

> We already use several custom chars for icons (folder, mp3, m3u etc)
> and some chars need 8 if not more chars for their national "special"
> chars.

I'm aware of that limitation. But only two icons are used at the same

> What we really need is a clever system to handle the whole screen,
> dynamically allocating custom chars for the special chars displayed.
> (And gracefully fall back to the closest similar ascii char if no
> custom chars are free.)

Doesn't sound too complicated, actually... At least not if you keep a
buffer of the current display, so that chars can be re-allocated (and if
lcd_update is a requirement for the player as well, it is easy to know
when to do it). Different chars would need different priorities (e.g.,
so that icons always are showed).

Magnus Holmgren