Subject: Can't code? Here's a chance to help!
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-09-23

Calling all frustrated non-programmers!

We need the player charsets converted to raw data.

You can find bitmaps of the charsets near the bottom of the the http://rockbox.haxx.se/notes.html page.

We want those charsets as pure data: 5 bytes per character, one byte per vertical column. The top pixel of each column is the LSB (least significant bit), valued 1.

The output of this exercise is two series of 5-byte data sets:

{ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 }, /* @ */
{ 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00 }, /* £ */

One serie per player charset. (Note that we do not need the recorder charset from the same page, only the players.)

I'll use the character 'A' as example:

..*.. /* 0x01 */
.*.*. /* 0x02 */
*...* /* 0x04 */

The resulting data bytes of this example are: { 0x7c, 0x12, 0x11, 0x12, 0x7c }

It is important that you write the data in the right order (left to right, top-down in the charset images).

The purpose of this is to make the player simulator more realistic, so we can develop and debug applications which use the special characters, as well as redefine characters.

Any takers? If you volunteer for this job, please tell the list. Naturally, several people can split up the job between them.

--
Björn