Subject: loadable language
From: Daniel Stenberg (
Date: 2002-09-24

I've just recently committed code that allows users to load .lng files to
replace the internal language strings with a custom version.

The .lng files are created with the new 'binlang' utility in the tools

This puts the following restrictions on new and old strings:

1. When you add new strings to english.lang, they must be added last in the
2. When you remove strings, don't remove them from english.lang, just make
   the string empty.

If these rules are not followed, we must bump the language file header
version (which we will attempt to do not more often than for each release).

Also, we can still use the existing system to select built-in language using
the configure script but binary releases from are likely to
only be using english built-in.

We're working on making the selected language file saved so that reboots will
use the previously selected language file (which is the same as with fonts
and wps files too).

Any day now, we will provide automaticly generated .lng files from the
rockbox site, so the average user doesn't need to generate anything, just
download their favourite language(s).

Thanks to all translators for their efforts.

Daniel "Bagder" Stenberg --