Subject: Re: ID3 tag isn't displayed correctly
From: Greg Haerr (
Date: 2002-09-28

: I guess the only I'll have to do is to edit the ID3 tags with an editor to
: get rid off those nasty unicode characters...

Well - not necessarily. The font code can almost handle
unicode-based characters, if a unicode font is loaded.
The first step should be a change to the ID3 tag
reader to convert unicode-ID3 tags to ISO8859-1
(very simple) if found. These could then be displayed
properly by the existing code. I suggest this be
added to the "bug list." If the unicode character
cannot be converted to ISO8859, then that character
can be converted to the loaded font's default character.

Later, a unicode version of lcd_puts{xy} could be
created that indexes the current font using
unicode (short) indices. If the font supports
the unicode character, it'll be displayed. If
not, the default character will be displayed.

: Olivier.