Subject: RE: user editable keys binding schemes wanted
From: Leif Sawyer (lsawyer_at_gci.com)
Date: 2002-09-30

Daniel Stenberg writes:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, Björn Stenberg wrote:
>
>> No. Some people will enjoy it, but that's a far cry from "we need it".
> We need it for Rockbox to turn into the ultimate crazy geek machine!
[...]
>> Mapping keys to functions is pretty simple. Making a coherent user
>> interface out of it is a *LOT* more complex.
>
> I agree with you that it is not a very easily solved task,
> but I'd still say "fear not fellow weirdos, let's do some cool stuff!"

I've been thinking about this as a consumer, since I'm not really a
developer here..

I'm not really certain that I'd want to be able to remap the standard
keys (on,off, play/pause, ff, rw, up, dn) just because it could cause
a whole lot of headache if they were "accidently" remapped into something
crazy (or disastrous!) by myself or a prank-playing 'friend'.

However, I can see wanting to be able to program the function keys!
Sure, F1 is the menu -- I probably don't need to change that, but I could
move it to F3 if I didn't use it that often.

I see a semi-intelligent dialog that does this:

  Menu-Key (combo-box: F1, F2, F3) :REQUIRED

  User-Key-1 (combo-box: ( FKeys minus Menu-Key minus User-Key-2), null;
        Function: (combo-box: list_of_functions minus User-Key-2.Function)

  User-Key-2 (combo-box: ( FKeys minus Menu-Key minus User-Key-1), null;
        Function: (combo-box: list_of_functions minus User-Key-1.Function)

This could be done at compile time, or when we finally get the ability
to write files to the disk, at run-time. Then it's a simple matter of