Subject: RE: [bug?]: Start , then resume
From: Daniel Stenberg (daniel_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-10-01

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Perron, Olivier wrote:

> By the way, it's the 3rd bug I report here and I'm quiet sure I could offer
> more help or a quicker help by doing a first debug stage by myself. It is
> just that I don't know how to practically debug rockbox from my linuxbox. I
> would appreciate if someone could give me some advice on how to do it.

I'd suggest this approach:

1. Make sure you build your own firmware using the tools of the trade.

2. When you get a crash with an address, check out the archos.map regarding
   what that particular address is used for.

   Often, if the problem is not so target-related, trying to reproduce the
   problem in the simulator is a very good first step as that makes it all
   much easier to debug and test.

3. Read all the related sources.

4. If possible, modify your unit for gdb-ability. (Not many people do this,
   since this requires a brave heart and voiding your warranty.)

5. Change, recompile, test and over again.

6. Post the patch that fixes the problem to the patch tracker.

--
Daniel "Bagder" Stenberg -- http://rockbox.haxx.se/