Subject: RE: user editable keys binding schemes wanted
From: Nielsen Linus (ext) (
Date: 2002-10-02

The whole purpose with using ASCII is to make it user-editable.

> Sometimes it may be advantageous not to have to open the gui
> to make changes to the config file. The system won't care,
> but is there any reason we shouldn't do a traditional
> Windows-style .ini format?

Yes. That format it harder to parse, and unnecessary complex. The .INI file
format is intended to be machine-editable.

> This makes a whole lot more sense to me than a cryptic comma-delimited
> format...(No offense intended, Paul!)

How would the .INI format solve the problem? You suggested a format like:

[key bindings]

What should "something" be? It would probably be:

What's the difference?

And I still think the file format is the least problem of them all. We can
change that a dozen times if we wish. The code is the hard part.