Subject: clever algorithm string ->int id wanted
From: phil_at_x-phobie.de
Date: 2002-10-03

I need an algorithm to calculate a unique id from a string, just
similar to calculating a hash key.
The purpose is that for loading key bindings from a file I want the
user to be able to specify the command by name. That in turn would
mean that I had to keep all the names of all commands in the memory.
What a waste of memory. Thus I'd prefer to identify the commands by an
integer id. While loading the key binding file I could calculate an id
from the command name and then search the appropriate command by id.
Any ideas?

Phil