Subject: Re: Remote control with display

Re: Remote control with display

From: Andrew Jamieson <andrew.jamieson_at_projectlab.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 09:08:43 +1000

The other option would be to have the 'new' remote send a "hi, im an LCD
enabled remote" message when it is first plugged in. This would enable the
Archos to differentiate between the standard and LCD remotes, and behave
accordingly. The Archos could then send data with each screen update, which
could be merged into the code quite easily I would imagine. The Archos
would keep the line in recieve usually, until it is required to send data -
at which point it quickly switches to transmit, send the data, and swiches
back. The buffer resistor would need to be in the remote, maybe with a
recieve only pin on the 'outside' side of the resistor to sense any
contention (when both the remote and Archos send at once). The remote would
then have to wait for the contention to end, re-send its data, and also a
'please resend' command to the Archos for its data.

Andrew Jamieson