Subject: Re: Remote control with display
From: Andrew Jamieson (ajamiesn_at_optusnet.com.au)
Date: 2002-10-05

> I thought about this solution as well, but I think there are some
> disadvantages:
> 1. The jukebox has to remember the type of remote which makes is a
> little bit more complicated (not very much) for the rockbox guys.

I dont think a bit setting is too much bother.

> 2. How should the remote know when it is first plugged in? We would need
> something like a connect-button on the remote or a remote that
> recognizes if it doesn't get any screen updates.

It can hold the transmit line high, and measure the OP after the contention
resistor. This will be shorted to ground briefly when the remote is
inserted, indicating an insertion. To ensure this works properly, the
"hello" message will probably need to be ACK'd from the Archos, to ensure
that just touching the remote plug and shorting it with your fingers (or
whatever) doesn't start it up. If we cant get this working reliably, the
Archos could poll the port low for a couple of machine cycles every second.
The chances of this messing with a normal remote are very low (most CMOS
parts can handle full voltage scale contention as long as it is very short),
and the remote could 'capture' this signal quite easily, recognising its
insertion.

> 3. How does the jukebox know, if the user changes from LCD-remote to
> standard-remote?

Good question. But why on earth would they do this, and is it really a
problem if they do? I guess we could make each message to the remote
require a brief ACK level poll (a high or low pulse), so that the first
message after the remote has been removed/replaced would time-out on the
ACK, and then the 'LCD remote attached' bit can be cleared and everything is
fine.

> I agree, but there's one more point:
> 4. I don't want to have an exact copy of the archos display on my remote
> (sometimes perhaps). A small remote (or my planned car stereo solution)
> could have a small display with one line only and then I'd like to have
> the possibility to decide what I want to have displayed there.

I was kind of hoping we could extend the WPS to include whatever we wanted
on the LCD :) This would be really cool ....

> I'm a little bit busy at the moment, but I think we should just try
> which solution works best. If we have the hardware working, it won't be
> a big problem to adjust the software (rockbox and remote) working the
> one or the other way and measure power consumption etc.

I've finally got my data logger (complete logs of Archos current consumption
coming soon ... ) so I can do this no problem.