Subject: RE: new thread about remote control with display
From: Stuart Tedford (stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk)
Date: 2002-10-08

> Maybe the archos should send only very short "interrupt" messages
> like "playing stopped", "playing started", "new track". The remote
> could then ask for all needed information like track name,
> position etc.
> The commands the remote could use to query infos and execute function,
> could be quite powerfull (e.g. query info for the whole playlist,
> directory etc.).

Yeah this sounds like a good solution, kind of complex, but good. RockBox
could handle many different requests but the remote only needs to know the
ones it uses.

> This way the same interface could be used for a complex pc program
> (or palm etc.) controling the archos as well as a simple
> remote device (with or without display).

And it can be used for all modes of RockBox (Browser/WPS/menus/text
editor/(games might be a bit difficult:))

> The archos only sends the info which is needed without forcing
> the remote to poll to frequently.

Yes, this is what I would like to avoid as well, it is totally unnecessary
for the remote to poll RockBox just in case something has changed.

Stu.