Subject: RE: new thread about remote control with display
From: Stuart Tedford (stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk)
Date: 2002-10-09

The Archos would send out all the relevant info for a mp3 song that it is
playing. What I was suggesting here was a very simple approach to the
remote/display solution. I am the first to admit that this is very simple
in terms of fuctionality - but at this level, the Archos is really just an
mp3 player after all. So at this basic level all it needs to do is send out
the mp3 info, no complicated protocol required.

I can see that this solution is not going down well with the RockBox
community, I agree that it is too limited for what some people want, but it
was just an idea. All I'm really interested in is the ability to control my
RockBox from my PC or from my Palm PC or from any other device with a serial
port that I might care to write some simple code for. I don't mind if that
code has to be a bit more complex, if it has the ability to provide more
than simple mp3 info.

So I like the idea of allowing the remote to ask for specific info. It
could even ask for "deltas" of the info that it has asked for - that way it
wouldn't need to poll. I just don't see a need for polling at all in this
system, polling isn't very clever, or am I missing something here - if so
could someone please explain why the remote needs to poll the archos?

Stu.