Subject: RE: remote control
From: Stuart Tedford (
Date: 2002-10-10

More comments:

I would like a more modular approach to the remote hardware. I would really
like to see a cable implementation of the hardware layer. So it would have
a jack plug at each end with a small (hopefully RockBox powered) "black box"
in it. Then that could be plugged in to any actual remote hardware that
would implement the upper layers of the protocol.

Then I could make a simple adaptor to break out the audio lines, and data
lines could go to my PC or Palmtop etc.
Then someone else could make a full blown inline LCD remote to their own
And someone else could make a simple non-display remote.
And someone else could make an adaptor to emulate a CD changer for their car
All using exactly the same font end hardware.

I don't have access to PCB production facilities, and its been a long time
since I did any SMD soldering, so I think this solution would suit a wider
audience like me - people who want to connect RockBox to some other hardware
device they already have. That would mean that this cable hardware device
could be produced in a much bigger batch.