Subject: Re: remote control

Re: remote control

From: Andreas Stemmer <Andreas.Stemmer_at_web.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:58:15 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Tedford" <stuart.tedford_at_piresearch.co.uk>

> At the moment I guess the only devices I'm thinking of are devices that
have
> a serial port on them - Palm, PocketPC, PCs etc. It would be kind of cool
> to plug your remote in to your PC and do stuff like control winamp etc. I
> realise there will have to be software written on these devices - but
that's
> easy for me, and for many others who might invest in a remote.

Now I understand, you only want to have the two resistors and the connection
between Tx/Rx in the cable to be able to connect it to a normal serial port
with
a different cable. That wouldn't be any problem I think (the resistors are
small
enough to be packed into the housing of the connectors). The remote could
recognize the type of cable because with the special jukebox adaptor, Rx and
Tx would be connected, with a standard RS232 cable, they wouldn't.

> Unfortuantely, I can't do IRC - only email. So I will shut up now ;) - on
> this remote issue anyway.

I can't do IRC, either. And I will be short of time the next week, so I will
shut up, too! But I think the others are doing a great job, let's see...

Andreas Stemmer