Subject: Preliminary 1.4 bug report
From: Bradley M Alexander (storm_at_tux.org)
Date: 2002-10-11

Hi,

This is the most preliminary of bug reports, as I only have a few instances
of it and have done almost no experimentation. However, it has happened
thrice to me today, so I thought I would pipe up.

Hardware: JB6000
[HW Info]
ROM: 5.02
USB: neg
ATA: 0x300
Mask: 0000

Battery level was approx 96%, unit was running on batteries.

I was listening to the JB in random play. About 3 minutes into a 4 minute
song, the player stops playing. I pulled it out of the case, and the timer
had stopped, and the red drive light was on solid. I presssed stop, but
nothing changed. I had to turn the unit off then back on to restore.

The second case happened about 30 minutes later. I was in the data center
with the unit in my shirt pocket. I leaned forward, then back again and the
back of it tapped my chest and I got the same indications as above and had
to do the same thing to fix it. A few songs after resetting it, I pressed
stop to change directories. The JB froze in place, with the drive light
blinking on-off at about half-second intervals. Again, I had to turn off to
recover.

I suspect that it could be the error recovery code that is doing this. In
earlier versions (e.g. 1.3), a drive error would cause the JB to skip to
the next track. Is it possible that now you get this wierd issue if you get
an error.

Just wanted to note what I've seen.

Thanks,

--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                |   storm [at] debian.org