Subject: Re: Battery usage
From: Uwe Freese (mail_at_uwe-freese.de)
Date: 2002-10-13

Hello Josh,

Josh (Norm) Audette wrote on Saturday, October 12, 2002, 1:54:25 PM:

[other batt voltage levels]

JNA> The 4.2V shutoff allows cells to reach a low of around 1.05V per
JNA> cell before shutting off the device. This is well above the 0.8V
JNA> minimum

I think the 4.5 is a good value and it was tested which value was
best in the past. I think with a lower value, the batteries cannot give
enough power for the voltage regulators.

JNA> What advantages does this offer us? The increase in the FULL value
JNA> gives us a better range for the useful life of the battery. For
JNA> example, we won't see 100% battery for the first three hours of
JNA> operation. Instead, it'd be closer to 1 hour at 100% and then the
JNA> percentage would start changing.

I've just added a patch to the patch tracker on sourceforge that
introduces a voltage "curve" and has a remaining time approximation.
Please read my other mail in the mailinglist, test the patch..

Bye, Uwe.