Subject: Re: HD problem: Status
From: john hill (j.hill_at_city.ac.uk)
Date: 2002-10-16

Hi, just noticed the thread, this may be obvious, but if the problem is that
the boot sector is currupted, then, I believe there should be a copy of the
master boot record which is activated by the fdisk command "fdisk /mbr" (no
quotes). This is probably the last thing you try before formatting!!! I have
only done this with a fixed hard disk, when restoring after uninstalling a
dual boot setup. it is definately worth trawling the internet for info about
this command etc. before trying it. I have very limited knowledge in the
area, and it may be that the copy may be currupt too. I hope this is of help
and apologies if this has been previously suggested. Jo