Subject: RE: Microphone.
From: jimg (
Date: 2002-10-19

I'm checking out the PG-81 on Shure's website

You're mixing apples and oranges here. The battery for the microphone
provides -phantom power- to drive the condensor; It does not "amplify"
the signal coming out of the microphone. This mic is a pro-level mic,
indicative of the XLR connection. I'm guessing you're using an XLR->1/4"
adapter-cable, and then a 1/4"->1/8" adapter plug to connect it to your
Archos? You're going to need something to -match the impedance (Z)- of
this mic to that of the Archos's input. The AC mixing board that you
mentioned was doing this. You can also purchase an in-line device,
generally called a *transformer* which will match the impedance of an
XLR'd pro-level mic to consumer-level equipment...these can be found
cheaply at Radio Shack, see:

(or if that link doesn't work, go to and search on part
number 274-016)

There also seem to be several devices at that page which
will accomplish the same thing, probably better suited for portable/MP3
recording, specifically:
(this seems to do XLR->1/8"miniplug w/volume boost)

Hope that helps,

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, M. OReilly wrote:

> Cool. I bought the Shure PG-81, which is battery-powered. Just not enough,
> I guess. :-)
> I'll check out the site right now.
> Thanks!

from jimg via