Subject: Re: Firmware Backup

Re: Firmware Backup

From: Bjoern Fischer <bfischer_at_Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 06:48:41 +0200

Hello,

> I just purchased a Archos Jukebox Recorder 20 and I want to try out
> Rockbox, but I want to back up the existing OS (version 1.28) since I
> can't download it from Archos (they only have 1.27d). Is this possible?

Two things:

1.) The original firmware (version 1.28 in your case) won't get
    off your unit, if you try rockbox or any other firmware. The
    original firmware is in the AJB's ROM and cannot be altered.
    So if you wan't it back, simply delete the on-disk-firmware
    (ajbrec.ajz).

2.) The firmware version 1.27d, that is downloadable from Archos'
    web site, is exactly the same as the built-in 1.28.

Ok, three things:

3.) If you try rockbox, you won't have back the original firmware.
    Trust me. If you wan't to use recording, you'll have to wait
    a bit, though. Or use ROLO and boot 1.28/1.27d on the fly.

Björn (Fischer)

PS: This should be in the FAQ, shouldn't it? It's soley mentioned
    on the download page http://rockbox.haxx.se/download/