Subject: Re: Suggestion for new file name filter
From: Andre Roessel (RCS-Technik_at_t-online.de)
Date: 2002-10-28

> How about an #optional# directory file filter with an auto-shortening
> function that would only display the parts of file names that differ
> from the previous name.

> Diana Gabaldon - Dragonfl
> Diana Gabaldon - Dragonfl
> Diana Gabaldon - Dragonfl
> Diana Gabaldon - Dragonfl

> Diana Gabaldon - Dragonfl
> 2 of 8.mp3
> 3 of 8.mp3
> 4 of 8.mp3
> 5 of 8.mp3

> This would make it really easy to find the right part. This trick
> would also work great with album files when you have the name of the
> artist in the filename.
>
> What do you think, anybody like this idea?

I would like it very much. Thought about this problem too and until now I used to
rename the songs for better readability. Your idea would make it much simpler.
Maybe there should be a character or string in front of the name which means "same
first part as in first line of display", e.g.

$$..2 of 8.mp3

And it should be always so, that in the first line of the display the name is displayed in
full length.

Andre