Subject: Large External Battery for Ultra-long Play
From: Dave Jones (dave_at_hfpacoustical.com)
Date: 2002-10-28

First of all, I love the Rockbox firmware. It's very cool what you all have
done.

I have a question that is a little outside the scope of firmware, but is a
pressing one for me.

I'd like to be able to run my Archos recorder for a very long time, i.e. a
week or so, without charging it or attending to it at all. I'd like it to
run continuously during this week. It will be in a location without access
to external power.

I've tried connecting an external battery pack through the dc power plug
but I seem to get strange behavior. When the recorder starts using the
external power for charging the internal battery, the recorder hangs,
requires a button press, etc. (I'm still using the Archos crappy firmware
because I'm using the recording functionality.)

Anyway, does anyone see any problem with building an external power source
with voltage regulation etc. such that I could tap directly into the
internal battery contacts on the Recorder? With a large battery pack I
should be able to power the recorder for a week without much difficulty. I
should be able to pop the Recorder open (using the very handy instructions
on the Rockbox website) and tap directly into the power leads, right? As
long as I am careful about the quality of the power feed?

Thanks for any comments,

Dave

Dave Jones, Senior Project Consultant
HFP Acoustical Consultants Inc.