Subject: Re: disk write testing
From: Greg Haerr (greg_at_censoft.com)
Date: 2002-10-30

> Björn already wrote the test code to work on a single file that you can
populate and work with fine (like mounting it vfat) on a Linux system since
it lets you use 'dosfsck' and other tools to verify that things work fine.

Cool - where is that?

> Of course, perhaps the coolest thing would be if you could optionally build
the simulator to use this FAT filemount or optionally use the good old
approach, since then each developer can chose his favourite.

The API would be identical except for some callouts in the low-level
disk driver, right?

Yes, an option to use the real filesystem or a large disk file would be
great in the simulator. As I think of it, I suppose we don't need to
use the loopback device, we could just change the lowest level
fat.c::ata_write_sector() routine to block-write to a disk file
rather than call the firmware driver code. That wouldn't require root
access.

Regards,

Greg

--