Subject: Re: firmware reverse engineering
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-10-31

Josh Nisly wrote:
> Hi,
> I am a C++ programmer who would be interested in doing something similar
> to what you all are doing with another player, the NEO Jukebox. It has
> the same CPU and MAS chips. I am new to embedded systems programming,
> though. Could someone point me to info on how to figure out the basics
> of my player (i.e. the equivalent of the Notes page on the Rockbox site)
> ?

Start with disassembling the .BIN files and see if you can find out how
to create your own. (Does the NEO update a flash memory or does it load
and run the firmware directly from disk?)

Then bring up your trusty multimeter and go find out how the hardware is
designed, maybe even draw some schematics. After that, go code your own
firmware!

(sounds easy, eh?) :-)

/Linus