Subject: Re: NEW UI Idea for RockBox.

Re: NEW UI Idea for RockBox.

From: Remo Hofer <remo.nospam_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:34:16 +0100

On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:50:39 -0800 talph_at_hotmail.com (Tom Alphin) wrote:

>A few responces:
>
>> I'd like the menu key to toggle cyclical between views (menu - wps -
>browser - id3view).
>
>While this would certainly be a possible implementation; it loses one
>benefit of my proposed design; the ability to perform simple tasks with one
>hand without looking at the screen, by remembering a sequence of keypresses.
>If the menu button was a toggle; you would need to look at the screen to
>know how many times to tap the menu key to get to the main menu. As I
>described it; "menu,right,right" would always go to the next track.
>
>Also; to use the toggle quickly; people will have to remember the order of
>screens, so that they can glance at the screen, see that it is the WPS, then
>know that toggling twice gets them to the id3 view you speak of. (is that a
>player only feature to make up for the small screen?)
>
>Granted; it would still work for users with nimble fingers, which can press
>"menu + left,right" to do the same task.
>
>Do other people have any thoughts?
>
>---tom

My proposal would allow either:
- one handend operation with looking at the screen
- two handed operation without looking

In your proposal you could only acces the menu one handed without
looking. Even returning to the wps would mean to operate with both
hands.

I'd prefer to be able to opeate all functions (at least all important
functions) single handed. Even if we had to trade off blind usability.
--
Remo Hofer <remo.nospam_at_gmx.net>
Do NOT remove nospam from email address!