Subject: Re: NEW UI Idea for RockBox.
From: Tom Alphin (talph_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 2002-11-05

"Remo Hofer" <remo.nospam_at_gmx.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:50:39 -0800 talph_at_hotmail.com (Tom Alphin) wrote:
>
> >A few responces:
> >
> >> I'd like the menu key to toggle cyclical between views (menu - wps -
> >browser - id3view).
> >
> >While this would certainly be a possible implementation; it loses one
> >benefit of my proposed design; the ability to perform simple tasks with
one
> >hand without looking at the screen, by remembering a sequence of
keypresses.
> >If the menu button was a toggle; you would need to look at the screen to
> >know how many times to tap the menu key to get to the main menu. As I
> >described it; "menu,right,right" would always go to the next track.
> >
> >Also; to use the toggle quickly; people will have to remember the order
of
> >screens, so that they can glance at the screen, see that it is the WPS,
then
> >know that toggling twice gets them to the id3 view you speak of. (is that
> >player only feature to make up for the small screen?)
> >
> >Granted; it would still work for users with nimble fingers, which can
press
> >"menu + left,right" to do the same task.
> >
> >Do other people have any thoughts?
> >
> >---tom
>
> My proposal would allow either:
> - one handend operation with looking at the screen
> - two handed operation without looking
>
> In your proposal you could only acces the menu one handed without
> looking. Even returning to the wps would mean to operate with both
> hands.
>
> I'd prefer to be able to opeate all functions (at least all important
> functions) single handed. Even if we had to trade off blind usability.

Well; as a recorder user; I don't have the experience you have with this
device. I would say it is up to you guys with player devces to decide what
works best.

and no, you could definitely still get to these menus with one hand. It
would just involve traversing the "hierarchy" of options via the main menu.

EXAMPLE:

if the main menu is like this:
    player view
    playlist view
    explorer view
    preferences

then you would get to the player view with "menu,right" the playlist with
"menu, down, right" and the explorer with "menu, down, down, right"
All entirely memorizable and possible with one hand (even without looking).

That turns what would take in your design as " looking + one to three taps"
into "2 to 4 taps without looking". Clearly, your model wins on lesser
numbers of keystrokes, but loses the blind usability that makes driving
safer.

Besides; if you do it your way; you will need to switch between 4 views, not
three, as the main menu will have to be one of them too; since a single tap
of the menu button is curently linked to that instead of "switch view"

also, "menu as a toggle" seems less intuitive then "menu as a menu".

--tom