Subject: Re: disk write testing
From: Greg Haerr (greg_at_censoft.com)
Date: 2002-11-07

: First of all, I'm still not thrilled with the idea of updating the dir
: entry for every file access.
:
: Secondly, saving to the hard disk at powerdown time is bound to fail,
: especially if the disk isn't spinning.

With the buffer-cache implementation of file data, fat, and dir buffers
I'm suggesting, it would be a simple extra bit to flag non-write-data buffers
for
updating only when the drive is spinning, and to postpone any i/o until the
HD starts spinning from some other request.

I'm not advocating the read-access updating, just pointing out
that it could be implemented quite smartly.

Regards,

Greg