Subject: Hungarian Notation (was: [patch] peakmeter)
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2002-11-07

Andreas Zwirtes wrote:
> > Question: I think it is very usefull to give the variables type
> > information like iStatus (that now would be istatus). i stands for
> > integer, l for long and so on. Is there also a silent convention on that?

Yeah, the convention is: Don't. As Linus Torvalds so eloquently puts it:

  Encoding the type of a function into the name (so-called Hungarian
  notation) is brain damaged - the compiler knows the types anyway and can
  check those, and it only confuses the programmer. No wonder MicroSoft
  makes buggy programs.

Jakob Heinemann wrote:
> sure there are standards for variable naming; one way is called Hungarian
> Notation. apparaently invented by Microsoft looong ago.

Wow, that's an excellent page to illustrate the horrors of hungarian notation. Just look at their magnificently unreadable code example:

nI pbDont pszLike fpHungarian paiNotation.