Subject: disk write testing

disk write testing

From: Greg Haerr <greg_at_censoft.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 07:51:54 -0700

Bjorn/Linus,
    I've got a buffer-cached version of the fat32 disk working,
caching for the time being only data sectors (currently it's just
modified file.c, not fat.c for testing) I hadn't quite realized what a great
job Linus did optimizing the routines for extremely fast
sequential reading and writing, and my original design didn't
handle that...

Anyways, another question: currently, the creat() call
does an open(...,O_WRONLY), lseeks are disallowed,
and the fat chain is truncated at close time past the
last cluster written. Do we want to make a distinction for
the new write code so that creat() and open(...,O_WRONLY)
act differently, that is, open(...,O_WRONLY) allows
seeking and appending to end-of-file? This would allow logfiles,
etc to be written, which can't be handled now.

Regards,

Greg