Subject: Re: Disk error handling
From: Heikki Hannikainen (
Date: 2002-11-11

> > 3. Should my Toshiba drive be doing this? Are there 40G disk drives that
> > people have used that behave better than this under shock?
> This is annoying. I use a Toshiba 40G myself, and this never happens to
> me. I keep the Archos in the handlebar bag on my bicycle while riding to
> work, and I can assure you it shakes a lot! It's puzzling that it
> differs so much between different people/units.

  My unit started to skip a lot after upgrading to the 40G toshiba from
the stock IBM travelstar. It skips a lot in a car unless I hold it on my
lap or some other less vibrating location. The more problematic location
is the pocket of my motorcycle jacket, it vibrates a little due to the
wind. Archos's firmware error recovery seems to work pretty well, though.

  - Hessu