Subject: More digital recording tests
From: ijed (ijed_at_optusnet.com.au)
Date: 2002-11-12

>> I tried recording the whole 2:22 song and it crashed when I stopped it
>> before it got saved to the harddrive
>
>Wow! Not good. How did it crash? Describe the symptoms.

It starts recording then after a minute or so the red light comes on, i get hard disc activity and i all normal. I let it run for a few minutes then when I press the off button to stop recording the light stays on but the status bar says stop. It stops eventually after a few minutes (and a warm hard drive) then I can't press anything except off which puts it back into what seems to be the record ready position (after another 20 seconds of redlight).
I can then press off again and get back into the menus then back to the filesystem. If I start recording again (or press anything else) it brings up the following:
Updating reserved (half a p or f) then a complete freeze.

This resulted in a 0 KB RECORD.mp3 file but normally ther most I get at what it sometimes says to be 192kBits (in Winamp I get the same vaules as archos) is 1:46

>> I'm just using a standard 3.5mm Stereo jack (not gold) out the back of
>> my SBLive and I haven't used the digital out/in before so it could be a
>> hardware thing.
>> Just tried digital recording with the Archos Firmware and I get the same
>> drop in signal level.

>As I suspected.

>> Hope this helps. I've got a few SP/DIF outputs on things too. Is
>> this a different protocol or do I just need an adapter?
>The Digital I/O *is* S/PDIF. :-)

All my I/O's labelled S/PDIF have RCA sockets whereas the one's labelled digital have 3.5mm.
For some reason I thought i needed RCA into stereo 3.5, but a mono will work ok. Does gold-plated make much difference for a digital signal, is it limitation to my "prosumer" soundcard or Archos hardware?

Hope this is useful
Jed