Subject: Re: More digital recording tests
From: brendan hack (
Date: 2002-11-12

Hey Jed old buddy,

        You do need an RCA to stereo 3.5 for the Archos recorder. Standard S/PDIF ports are only uni-directional, they either do input or output. The Archos S/PDIF port is non-standard and is both an input and output port in the one plug. Basically they are using a stereo 3.5 port with the right channel as input and the left channel as output (or vice-versa, I can't remember which off the top of my head). So you will need to use a dual RCA to stereo 3.5 and plug the red into yer S/PDIF out and white into S/PDIF in (or the other way round). You might be able to get away with a mono plug but it's not really the best solution.

        As for gold or not gold you should probably go for gold if you're worried about quality. Your cable will also affect the sound quality. I've always found it strange that cables and adapters can affect S/PDIF quality. I mean, it's a digital signal so I would expect that what goes in one end of the cable should be what comes out the other end. The only way I can think that cables would affect the signal would be if S/PDIF didn't have any error correction. Does anyone know if that's the case or could point me to a website for more info on S/PDIF?

> All my I/O's labelled S/PDIF have RCA sockets whereas the one's labelled digital have 3.5mm.
> For some reason I thought i needed RCA into stereo 3.5, but a mono will work ok. Does gold-plated make much difference for a digital signal, is it limitation to my "prosumer" soundcard or Archos hardware?
> Hope this is useful
> Jed

Brendan Hack
Bendy's 3D Systems               Plugins for trueSpace 3 and above

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate