Subject: Newbie questions
From: Cynthia Sellers (csellers_at_whoi.edu)
Date: 2002-11-14

Hi!

I hope this isn't too much of an intrusion. You folks seem really busy
working on bugs and adding features to your software! Keep up the good
work!

I just purchased a Archos Jukebox Recorder 20. I spent a lot of time
reading about the software that Archos provides and it's limitations
before I bought but decided to buy anyway. Then I found reference to
Rockbox and was encouraged.

I have yet to begin using my AJR20. I am trying to decide how to begin.
I have read your FAQ and user documentation and poked around a bit in your
archives. I feel like I'm coming in in the middle, though.

So I have a few (probably foolish) questions I'm hoping someone will be
patient enough to answer for me:

1) should I start right off with Rockbox or get familiar with the Archos
software first?

2) I have ripped all my CD's to MP3 on my computer using MusicMatch and
plan to copy the files to the AJR20. (Is that the proper way to get my
CD's onto the AJR20?) When I do this(which I'm fuzzy on exactly how to do
it but assume once I jump into it that it will become clear), will all the
album info be available on the AJR20 or do I have to enter it (Seems
awful if the latter is the case)? I've got some CD's that I'll have to
enter the info for manually and I don't want to do it twice.

3) Some things I've read have made me nervous. I'm afraid I'll 'do it
wrong' and somehow break the unit! Many of the negative comments I read
seemed to indicate I could 'ruin everything' if I didn't do everything
'just so'. This has made me cautious and I'm waiting for a time when I can
devote an afternoon (at least) to the steep part of the learning curve.
Are my fears justified? One of your FAQ questions indicates you haven't
been able to harm your units with the software you're writing but are
there other ways to harm my AJR20?

4) This question is probably beyond the scope of this list but I'll ask
anyway... when I record a cassette do I have to record each track
separately or can I break it into tracks after it is recorded? I guess I
envision something like the following:
        - use the AJR20 to do the recording of one side of a cassette (or
                        LP?)
        - put the big file onto the PC
        - use <something> to break it into tracks
        - ID the tracks (by hand I presume)
        - copy them back onto the AJR20
Does this make sense? Do you folks suggest what the <something> might be
that I can use to separate the tracks? (something like 'Cool Edit'?)

I'll stop there until I hear from someone that it is ok to ask questions
like this (or not) in this list. I apologize if answers to this type of
question are available somewhere and would appreciate a pointer to where
that might be.

Thanks for being patient with a new, and probably too cautious, user!

I'm greatly encouraged by the professional behavior of your development
team and look forward to using Rockbox!

Cindy