Subject: Re: Feature Request

Re: Feature Request

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 01:26:49 +0100

Frank Diefenthal wrote:
> why don't we just partition the disk? lets say 10 MB for the rockbox stuff
> so archos firmware can find it and the rest is NTFS.

There are no benefits to using NTFS, but a great number of downsides:

1) NTFS is *very* complex.

2) Only WinNT, Win2k and WinXP supports it.

3) There are three different versions of NTFS (v1.2, v3.0, v3.1).

4) None of the versions are publicly documented by Microsoft.

5) Other projects who attempted NTFS support were threatened with lawsuits:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0009.1/1229.html

In short: No, we will not add NTFS support to Rockbox.

--
Björn