Subject: Recording with 2002-11-20 00:40:00
From: Mitsu Hadeishi (mitsu_at_ministryofthought.com)
Date: 2002-11-20

Hi, I just downloaded 2002-11-20 00:40:00 and tried it on my Jukebox
Recorder 15. (By the way: I just bought my Archos and was totally blown
away by your firmware. Way to go.)

The main thing I wanted to try was the recording functionality. I'm using
a preamplified microphone, a Sony ECM-MS907.

This setup works fine with the original Archos firmware (except for some
tiny analog noise that seems to be impossible to get rid of).

However, using 2002-11-20 00:40:00, I get a lot of strange distortion. I
tried quality level 5, with the gain on both channels at maximum 19.5 dB
--- which didn't cause the level meters to go beyond about 60%. The
distortion definitely sounds like compression artifacts, not ordinary
distortion. This does NOT happen when recording with the 1.27d firmware.

A separate bug: when I record multiple times, though multiple files
appear, when I play them from within the player, they all seem to be
playing the first recording, not the new recordings. In fact, when I look
at the files from my PC, the new files are all just 1K long. Only the
first recording has any significant data in it.

Doing a chkdsk /f on the disk after running the recorder generates the
following errors:

\R021120001920.mp3 first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be
truncated.
\R021120002607.mp3 first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be
truncated.
\R021120003548.mp3 first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be
truncated.

So, though the first file plays, all three files show an error. After
running chkdsk /f, the files disappear.

Mitsu

http://www.syntheticzero.com