Subject: More recording tests - alas with problems

More recording tests - alas with problems

From: Martin Borus <martin_at_borus.de>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:52:36 +0100

Hi,

here's some more recording test results.

My hardware: JBR20GB
Hardware ROM 1.28
Mask 0x0302
USB positive
ATA 0x200
FR positive
Freq 11.0592 MHz

All files are at www.syltlinks.de/rockbox - if not now, then
I'll upload them ASAP and will keep them until Sunday.
CVS used is 11-21, all recordings were made at 44.1khz,
Quality 5, Line-In.

Problem #1:
I've recorded from the line-in for 120minutes.
The result was a garling sound. I've uploaded a clip from
the beginning and an Archos firmware comparison.
www.syltlinks.de/rockbox/rockbox_bbc.mp3
www.syltlinks.de/rockbox/archos_bbc.mp3

Problem #2:
To test the noise level I recorded a very low volume soundbit.
in both cases I had the amplification of the rockbox at maximum.
I'm providing both the original and some normalized files.
The Archos recording is full of distortions, Rockbox is much
better. But: You can hear the spinning sound. It sounds just like
from the microphone - hear it for yourself..

www.syltlinks.de/rockbox/rockbox_lownoise.mp3
www.syltlinks.de/rockbox/archos_nownoise.mp3
www.syltlinks.de/rockbox/rockbox_lownoise_norm.mp3
www.syltlinks.de/rockbox/archos_nownoise_norm.mp3

More testing coming up with the next CVS

Martin