Subject: RE: Hardware/LCD changes

RE: Hardware/LCD changes

From: Josh <jet_at_nyip.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 17:45:59 -0500

Got any pictures? :).

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se [mailto:owner-rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se] On
Behalf Of Justin
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2002 5:32 PM
To: rockbox_at_cool.haxx.se

(regarding putting larger LCD screen on the rockbox)

>It is certainly possible, but how will you fit it?

That's the easy bit :-)
I actually have several reasons for wanting this.
One is that with Rockbox, the archos makes a useful platform for
portable, but not pocket, sound. Eg, mount it inside a larger,
shock-absorbant box, with a large screen, buttons wired to controls on
the box, larger battery pack, output jacks, etc, and you have a
rock-solid durable portable player that you can connect to the local
sound system, wherever you are, leave it on a desk, and operate it
easily at desk-level. (Eg, when dancing at many studios in the same
week).

Another reason is that I've started a pocket case-modification
(actually, case-replacement) that is extensive enough that it's not much
more hassle to put in a larger screen - I'll be adding new buttons
anyway, so they can be shifted to accomodate a larger screen.

It would also be useful for converting a recorder into a car stereo.

The first example can obviously be met by other devices availible, but
the recorder+rockbox is a well understood and powerful combination. And
more to the point, I'm already familiar with it, so there is no learning
curve :-)

>Justin wrote:
> I'd like to modify the recorder to have a bigger LCD screen, but the
> screen it has seems to be a real oddball, so I doubt I'll find
anything
> that I can simply swap-out the existing one with. Does anyone have any
> thoughts on the best way to do this?
> Can the firmware be tailored to run a different screen? (If anyone who
> knows more about the LCD-driving side of things is interested in this
> kind of modification, I have no qualms buying them larger screens to
> attempt to get working)
>
> Any ideas?

/Linus