Subject: Re: Hard drives that work/don't work with power off
From: Björn Stenberg (
Date: 2002-12-02

Henri DAVID wrote:
> for my point of view it's more around 500ms. and i was thinking .... could
> this generate a problem with playback and low watermark, since the drive is
> slower to start, the buffer could eventually gets empty before the hard is
> able "throw" some mp3 data into the buffer ?

It could, but it doesn't. Look at the mp3 thread debug screen and you'll see that we have a huge margin (>128KB). This added spinup time should not affect us negatively.

Further ahead, we will implement a dynamic watermark handler which will adjust itself to the speed of the disk and the playing bitrate.

> cool. is there in the archos some kind of current mesurement Chip ?

Not that I know.