Subject: USB 2.0 chip in R20 / USB on-the-go / image viewer / mic preamp

USB 2.0 chip in R20 / USB on-the-go / image viewer / mic preamp

From: news.gmane.org <SJOsterfeld_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:01:44 -0800

Hello,

I know rockbox has the documentation on the USB ISD-300 controller in the
Archos recorder, but I think the Recorder 20 with its USB 2.0 interface
might have another controller.

Does anyone know which controller is in the Recorder 20GB? I haven't gotten
my recorder 20 yet... should arrive in 10 days or so, for ~US $200 after
rebate... :)

The idea is, since the Recoder 20 has advanced USB, maybe if we had the
documentation we could see if the chip might possibly support USB on-the-go,
or if there will be a pin-compatible chip that does. USB on-the-go would be
great - imagine, hook up your digicam (say, while camping) via USB, and the
Recorder downloads all your data onto the HD. Then you're ready for another
day of shooting 200+ pics. In general, I'd like to add versatile USB
data-leeching capabilities to the Archos :)

I know that the Multimedia Jukebox sort of offers this feature, but I don't
like it all that much: No replaceable AA batteries, only USB 1.0 integrated,
and all the good features (USB 2.0, firewire, smartmedia reader) require
bulky and expensive add-on modules... :(

So, I'd rather have the Recorder 20 with integrated USB 2.0, and somhow
implement USB on-the-go. Then I'd also try to implement a 4-grayscale image
viewer, just to check if the jpgs arrived o.k. - I mean, I think the small
color display on the Multimedia Jukebox is nice, but not really good enough
for anything serious, so having a grayscale display is almost as good.

I just wish I could program better...

Oh, here's one thing I can do, though: I will try to build my own Archos
mic-preamp... does anyone, by chance, have a picture of what the original
$50 pre-amp from Archos looks like on the inside? I found some schematics
for a preamp here:
http://www.geocities.com/ferocious_1999/md/micpreamp2.html which I intend to
slighly modify by using the newer and advanced low-power hifi op-amp OPA350
from TI. Maybe this 5V op-amp will make a good replacement/upgrade for
whatever they have in the Archos preamp... so, once again, does anyone have
an idea what the internals of the Archos preamp look like? Battery? Circuit
board? Probably all integrated w/o solder... Etc. ?

Thanks...