Subject: Re: EE Times webpage does teardown on the Jukebox Multimedia recorder

Re: EE Times webpage does teardown on the Jukebox Multimedia recorder

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:48:40 +0100

Greg Haerr wrote:
> Interesting. It seems the MM Jukebox uses the TI DSP
> as the sole processor for system functions and display,
> as well as mpeg/mp3 encoding/decoding.

The DSC21 is a combined DSP and ARM cpu. The Multimedia has a MAS 3587 chip, like the Recorder. I'm not sure if they decode with it too, or only encode/record.

> I presume you've got to be a volume manufacturer or
> TI licensee to get their libraries for mp3/mpeg decoding,
> which are then used as a base to build a system around?

Actually, I believe the MPEG dsp code is stored in the DSC21 ROM.

Texas Instruments, however, requires that you a) are a >10000unit/year manufacturer and b) sign an NDA, to see any kind of data sheets for the DSC21...

--
Björn