Subject: Re: Sound quality with Rockbox
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (
Date: 2002-12-09

Infoman: Joerg Boehmert wrote:
> I noted one problem:
> Can it be that the sound is better with the original Archos firmware than
> with the Rockbox-firmware?

Yes of course it can be. :-)

> I've been testing Rockbox V1.4 since October and
> I tried to change the sound settings with both firmwares, but couln't get it
> the same.

Can you elaborate on this a little. What sound settings do you change
and how?

We do not compensate for digital distortion in Rockbox, which basically
means that you can "overdrive" the decoder if you set too aggressive
settings. I intend to implement a (configurable) compensation for this,
which may result in a lower overall volume.

> In german I would call the effect I can hear with Rockbox
> "klirren", in english I don't know the correct expression (clang, clank,
> clink ?).

Sounds like you are describing gigital distortion. :-)

> Am I beeing audiophile or paranoid? :-)

Both. :-)