Subject: Re[2]: cvs: docs BATTERY-FAQ,1.10,1.11
From: Uwe Freese (mail_at_uwe-freese.de)
Date: 2002-12-11

Hello Björn,

Björn Stenberg wrote on Wednesday, December 11, 2002, 9:54:14 AM:

BS> Uwe Freese wrote:
>> (do not directly plug it in your 12V car battery or it's charger!)

BS> While a fuse is always a good idea, what is the problem with
BS> connecting a 12V car battery if the Archos never draws more than
BS> 350mA anyway?

With a higher input voltage, the regulator gets hotter. And that could
be a problem, even if I don't think it is one. Did anybody check the
output voltage of the "12V car adapter"? Without that, I can only say
that 10V is definitely safe, because the Archos power supply has 10,4 V
output voltage when the AJB charges the batteries.

Relating to the car battery: I think the voltage in the car could get as
high as 15V or so (because the battery there is also charging with the
"car generator"). I don't know it exactly. What I know: With a 7810
between it, it is safe!

Bye, Uwe.