Subject: Re: Archos plans to ship Rockbox with Jukebox Studio
From: Björn Stenberg (bjorn_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-12-12

Stuart Tedford wrote:
> But with the pace of development of these new products, I reckon the AJB
> will be obsolete within a year. What happens to RockBox then?

Nothing in particular. We are not living on the mercy of Archos. Rockbox is, and has always been, about making our own devices perform better.

When Archos stops selling the AJBR20, will I throw away my unit? No. Will it stop running Rockbox? No.

It's a common mistake to confuse open source reasons of existence with those for commercial enterprises. We don't need market share. We don't need expansion. Rockbox will continue to be developed as long as any one person feels there are useful features to add. And even when no more developers can be bothered with it, it can still provide good value to users for many many years.

And, since the code is open, when some time in the future we're all tired of our ancient Archos units and another hackable device pops up, we have a boatload of useful code to kickstart a new project with.

Rockbox will live forever.

--
Björn