Subject: Re: Archos plans to ship Rockbox with Jukebox Studio
From: Linus Nielsen Feltzing (linus_at_haxx.se)
Date: 2002-12-12

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:36:18 +0100, langhaarrocker wrote:
>That's something that bothers me slighly. Imagine Jukeboxes were
>shipped with Rockbox. Will the programmers of the original firmware
>be sacked? Why should Archos pay them? They can sell Jukboxes
>anyway.

Someone still needs to pay for the initial versions of the OS when
they develop new products. They can't expect people to develop their
stock firmware for free. They might be tempted to write only a
bare-bones OS and expect Rockbox to continue development, but that
would be a huge mistake. People will not buy players with an OS that
sucks that much.

I think the average user still uses the ROM firmware, or an upgrade
from Archos. They need to have in-house, or payed open-source,
developers.

/Linus