Subject: RE: PIC12C508A-based remote

RE: PIC12C508A-based remote

From: Justin <jaf60_at_it.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:51:44 -0800

>what about an infrared remote?
>based on UIR Univerversal InfraRed design
>
>Has anybody made a documentation of the remote specs.?

I was planning to try building one, and I was thinking that you don't
need to know any of the specs, if the following trick turns out to be
successful:

Connect a standard IR sensor package (ie, the three-pin ones with
built-in 40kHz filtering) directly to the remote pin of the audio
socket, and to the power supply. With luck, this is all the hardware
work that needs to be done. (And this can be done without soldering or
warrenty voiding if necessary.)
Buy a programmable IR remote, connect an IR LED to the output pin of the
archos remote, and thus use the archos remote to program the
programmable IR remote. My guess (and hope) is that the 9600baud signals
will be reproduced by the learning remote, and if so, then the IR sensor
package should convert them back to what appears to be logic signals as
far as the jukebos is concerned.

I've purchased the bits to do this, but haven't got around to trying it.
If someone else wants to try it, I have some spare sensor packages I can
mail you. (that's the part that general consumer electronics stores
probably don't stock)

Seeya
Justin