Subject: Re: heating
From: Doug (
Date: 2002-12-19

I had deep discharge off. I don't think my batteries are bad or anything like
that (although I can't be certain). As for reproducing results, I don't plan
on copying files for 3 hours straight again anytime soon, because this is what
produced the problem. What I was referring to originally was that in the
charging algorithm doc, there was a reference to the shut off condition:
Delta peak means to detect that the battery voltage goes down when the
batteries are full.

Two facts on batteries are the reason why this works:

- If the batteries are full, the charging current cannot charge the battery
anymore. So the energy is absorbed by heating up the battery.
- Each battery has a negative temperature coefficient, that means the voltage
goes down when the temperature goes up.
As you can imagine, I'm not much of an expert on the charging algorithm,
however I have an aching suspicion that this--barring any defect in my
unit--was cause for the shutdown.

Tell me if you think the properties of the batteries or the algorithm itself
could have caused the batteries to drain because of the heat.

Do you Yahoo!?